Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Week Six - Transporter: Thing fifteen of twenty-three


I liked the post by Dr. Wendy Schultz
called "To a temporary place in time..." http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm
The reason I liked it so much, is that she realizes that although the library of the future will be a very different place than we're used to, it can still be a warm, inviting refuge for our users, a place with comfy chairs (we REALLY need to get some of those). Her vision of Library 4.0 had many comforting images, and is how I like to think about the library of the future. Here are the final lines of her perspective:

the LIBRARY: a WiFREE space, a retreat from technohustle, with comfortable chairs, quiet, good light, coffee and single malt. You know, the library.
I’ll meet you there.


What Library 2.0 means to me? Well, I guess it's sort of like the Star Trek Transporter, transporting us to Library: The Next Generation.

No comments: